Last Thursday, Maddie and I went to school early so she could go to the 5th grade Bible Study. Later that day, I was chatting with my friend, who also happens to be the 5th grade Grade Chair (and she helps lead the group). We were talking about our kiddos and such, and she said, "I have to tell you about Maddie this morning." The theme of their study is Wesleyan's yearlong them "Living the Gospel," and this week's focus was on living the gospel when life is hard. A high school senior boy was sharing with the kids. He talked about how he got injured playing football last year and how he thought that would be the worst thing ever, but through his injury and recovery God did some really cool things (I don't know the whole story). Then he asked the kids, "Can you think if something in your life that has been difficult or challenging and God worked it out for good?" Laura said that Maddie raised her hand and began to explain that she has a brother with autism. She said when people don't know him, they might find him hard to understand or hard to get to know or might think some of his habits are strange, but she said having him for a brother is so awesome, and she wouldn't change him. She said he's so much kinder and sweeter and loving than other boys his age. Laura teared up even as she was telling me, and she said, "This is the 2nd time today I've cried over this, and I didn't even hear it all first hand!" She had to step out while Maddie was talking, so she asked the counselor (who also helps lead the group) to fill her in, and she cried then. I went and talked to Rich to get the full account, and this is as close to it as I can come. It's so amazing and humbling to be able to get these special glimpses....
Fast forward to yesterday. I was talking to my mom on the phone, and Maddie came up and asked if she could get on her tablet and play a game. I said no (!) and suggested she go find something more productive to do, and I gave her a few suggestions (read, have quiet time/do a devotion, etc.) Twenty minutes later she came bursting in my room, and she was literally BUBBLING OVER WITH JOY. She said - and I quote - "This is the BEST night of my life!" She was so excited to show me something - she handed me a paper (I'll put a picture here soon)... she had decided to have some quiet time, and she had done a "praying in color" page. She was showing me all the things she drew about... trusting God, being thankful, praising God, and she said, the more things I thought of to be thankful about or praise Him for, the better I felt, and now I'm so happy I could burst! I won't feel this happy if I DO make "Bye Bye Birdie!" (and THAT speaks volumes in itself!!). As we were talking, somehow our conversation got to the topic of bullying. We had a really cool conversation (talking about the videos we watched at school this week, how she's worried she'd be the onlooker but wants to stand up, so we talked about how we need to pray for the Holy Spirit to give us wisdom and boldness if the situation arises. Then she brought up a prayer request one her friends brought up in homeroom: prayers for the family of the 12 year old that committed suicide from being bullied. What a heavy conversation, but what a big God we serve who can give us hope in all circumstances.
We were on a roll, so I decided to share with her what Rich and Laura shared with me and let her know how much hearing that warmed my heart. As I relayed the story, her eyes filled with tears. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "Nothing. I'm crying because I'm so happy. I'm so glad he's my brother. When I first raised my hand in Bible Study, I wasn't sure if I should share, but as I talked it just felt so... good!" I told her how very special that was and how blessed she and Matthew are to have EACH OTHER.
How blessed I am to get these glimpses.....