Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

MSA ROCKS! (written by Matthew)

Where to begin? Well, MSA is dope this year. I have made several friends and am continuing to make more. It all started at an open house 14 months ago. There, I just KNEW it was right. So, a recommendation letter was sent, my IQ was evaluated, and I had an appointment with the headmaster and an admissions officer scheduled. A week later, Mom's phone vibrated during the stage production of "Freckleface Strawberry". It was the admissions officer, telling her that I was actually ACCEPTED!
        So, after that, several months passed, and I finished my career at Lionheart, went to Disney World, and spent a month in Bonita Springs, FL, all the while conscious that a new life was ahead. I had an orientation, got used to my new school, and soon the first day struck. My schedule was as follows: Homeroom in Taniah "T" Jones' room, 1st pd. SS w/ Chelsea Michelson, 2nd period art w/ Brian Buxton, 3rd period LA w/ T, 4th period Life Science w/ Jay Hudson, 5th period PE w/ KK, and 6th period Math, w/ Carol Adams.
              My academic talent soon blossomed, and Kay, the principal of Communication Arts, where I attend school, offered me a choice of PreUpper classes (all of my classes were in CommArts) between Pre-algebra and Language Arts. I was landed in a class taught by William H. Turner, which moved my electives to 5th and 6th periods (there are 3 periods a day, so I have both electives on the same day). Will was hard to get used to at first, but now, he is one of my favorite teachers.
                Mill Springs has a unique levels system, a system of rewards and "punishments". Students enter the school as a Level C (Courteous, Considerate, Cooperative) and, after four weeks can sign up for feedback for Level R (Role Model, Responsible, Respectful), or just go up for the vote, though this is NOT recommended; meetings are on every Friday. If staff and peers vote the student to R, they must be an R for six weeks before going through the same procedures for Level L (Leadership), the highest level. If the student screws up, they go up for general levels feedback and usually end up on Level S, the lowest level, because somebody proposed a vote to that level.
         Of course, there are other, minor consequences as well--being put on a point sheet meant for Cs and Rs, being on a checkback week with an automatic drop if you mess up, etc. A point sheet is a sheet with grids telling you whether or not you do well academically and socially in class,break, meetings, homeroom, etc.
             And now, the part you've been waiting for: I just signed myself up for Level L feedback. I had just unknowingly made an offensive comparison of Lakota and Hebrew in science class, saying that Lakota was a more interesting language than Hebrew, and the Jewish students in that class didn't appreciate that; I guess you could say that I hurt their feelings, but after that, I faced what I had done and apologized. The first peer I called on was Andrew Liban, a Jewish kid who touched on the incident by saying that I would make a great Level L other than that, prompting Jay to elaborate; as Jay told the story, I truly realized how tactless I had been, and I felt very bad. Rather than deflect it, however, I apologized to the whole faculty and student body. Then, I called on Cole Reed, who echoed Andrew; Craig Pena, who said I had his full support; and Kaitlin Bolander, who said that I needed to work on my communication skills. Every teacher said that I possessed Level L qualities, but needed to do something for the community.
    I promise to take this feedback to heart, and make this community better than ever. I have learned the art of tact, and promise to use it to the fullest of my ability. I want to be the best Level L that I can be.