Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Windmills... in Colorado?

OK, so there were plenty of windmills in the wind farms we drove through to GET to Colorado, but I'm talking about the metaphorical windmills that we find in Holland, like the tulips and the Rembrandts that are there. If we were in Italy I wouldn't be quite so in awe of the milestones we just experienced... We drove to Colorado after Christmas to spend time with Jeff's brother and family, and we squeezed in a little ski trip while we were there. Last year we asked Matthew if he wanted to learn to ski, and he said, "well, NO, not really." That wasn't shocking to us given that anything below 50 degrees F is FRIGID to him. :-) Well, as Christmas got closer and we started planning this trip, we asked him again, and this time he said, "Sure, I'll try it." Maddie, of course, said yes before we even fully got the question out. With lots of prayer and GREAT trepidation, we got them signed up for ski lessons in Telluride. I was soooo nervous for Matthew... the cold, the coordination that would be needed - not to mention the strength. So many things were working against us, or so I thought. Thankfully, even though it was about 6 degrees, we were all dressed for the weather (complete with toe and hand warmers), so he fared well with the cold temperatures. Then about two hours into their lesson, we skied past there group - and he was holding his own! It was like God was saying, "would you RELAX?! I've GOT this!" Jeff and I skied on, and every now and and then we'd ski past them and spy - they never recognized us because of all the layers of clothing and goggles. Every time I was MORE amazed at how well they were both doing! By the end of the day - day ONE - they were riding up the ski lift and skiing down the bottom of the run! After he conquered the morning, I really worried about his endurance (I mean I HAVE to worry about something, right?!), but he kept right on going and was in the BEST mood when we met them at the end of the lesson! He was tired, but he (and Maddie) both LOVED the day. They were both EQUALLY excited about day 2! By the end of day 2 they were riding up Lift 10 (the longest 4 person chair lift in CO we learned!), and they skied down the greens and double greens to the bottom! Maddie is already ready for blues, and by the time we skied it together and helped Matthew some more with his turns, he's about ready for them too! Their instructor, Dave, was amazing. I'm amazed... and humbled. Walking back to our hotel, we passed the window of Telluride Adaptive Sports. To think Matthew learned to ski without that. AMAZING. We had a great trip all together... Matthew and Maddie enjoyed being with their cousins, and we enjoyed being with Richie and Kathy and MaMa and Papa. Matthew was more engaged with all of them then he has ever been on one of our visits, and Richie and Kathy were both blown away with his progress. He and Maddie are incredible travelers... to think we spent 2 and a half days in the car coming AND going, no fighting, no movies... just lots of knitting, madlibs and crosswords - and taking in God's beautiful scenery.