Matthew and I went to hear John Elder Robison speak today, and although we had to leave early, it was a really neat experience. He is an adult with Asperger's Syndrome and author of the books "Look Me in the Eye" and "Be Different." He also designed the guitar for KISS that shot fire!! Impressive! He was also impressive to listen to. When Matthew and I were walking out the to the parking lot to head to Maddie's talent show, I asked him what he thought, and he said emphatically, "It was GREAT!" I asked him what he took away from it. He said, "Well, I learned that scientists might figure out that there are good autisms and bad autisms." So asked which kind he thought he had, and he said, "Definitely good." I asked him, in following up to the medication discussion at the lecture, if he would want a medicine that could 'take his autism away' and he said, "definitely not." I like myself just the way I am. Just like God said in the Bible in John 9:2-3, God will be gloried through my autism. Of course, I had to ask what John 9:2-3 said, and he explained it to me....
"
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.
2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.
WOW.
I went from that to hear Maddie's angelic voice sing acapella and then with her friends' violins at the Weslyan Lower School talent show. Here's a video, but I'm afraid the quality isn't very good.
It doesn't get much better than this!