Maddie cuddled up next to me on the couch tonight and said, "You know, Mom, I love God and I want to spend more time with him and hear him, but I don't really know how to do that. As hard as I try, I don't hear him. In fact, I don't think I ever have." So sweet... I explained that we work our whole life on that, that it's not her. I told her I have trouble hearing him sometimes, too. It takes a lot of effort and intention to tune in and seek him... and it starts with spending time with him. She said she doesn't do that enough either, and again, I said that most people feel that way. She said not you! you spend a lot of time reading your Bible and doing your quiet time (who knew they notice those things... cool!). Plus, I told her that we also have to realize that he speaks in different ways... through scripture, through people, through peace and feelings we get. The most important thing is to get to know him better and better. She was so happy and so glad she had talked to me about this!
The next day at church, it was Matthew's turn to my jaw drop. Their lesson (I was a helper in their class) was on the burning bush, so we talked about God saying to Moses "tell them "I AM" sent you." The discussion bounced around a bit and a question or comment about the trinity came up. Matthew said profoundly, "Well, if you turn to John 8:58 (as he starts flipping pages in his Bible), it proves it. And he read: "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am." and then Matthew said, "so see, Jesus was with God at creation... proof of the trinity." All of us adults looked at each other - REALLY?? One of them asked me at the end of class if he blew me out of the water like that often. DAILY. Like (on a less profound but still mind boggling note) when he told Maddie that she should be playing a b flat in a certain piece of a song she was struggling with on the piano... and he was across the room!