So we were riding home from school today and Matthew, who had been listening and singing along with our Contemporary Christian radio station, suddenly said, "You know, when God's light shines through us, it doesn't send off photons of oxygen or vitamin D like sunlight... HIS light gives of photons of love, photons of strength, photons of forgiveness and hope and grace..." And to think when he was first diagnosed at 3, I worried that he would never grasp that there is a God who loves him! God shows me again and again that He can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine....
Matthew hasn't been feeling great this week, and a couple nights ago, Maddie was being silly and giving lots of hugs and kisses (or trying), and from the other room I hear Matthew say, "Alright, Maddie - enough. No more hugs and no more kisses. (pause) But I DO love you."
Then last night at dinner, we were all sharing our highs and lows from the day. When I asked Matthew what his low was, he said it was when he checked the mail after school (he opened a mailer from a "feed the hungry" organization, and he read the whole letter, describing the desperation, that the children's bellies are distended because of parasites within, etc), and he said "it's just soooo sad about those starving children."
Maddie is the most amazing sister I know... there's no doubt in my mind that God placed her as Matthew's sister. She loves him unconditionally and really applauds and appreciates who he is. I love watching their relationship deepen... it has given Maddie wisdom beyond her 8 years (but don't worry, she can still be very, VERY 8). :-)