Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Matthew's Video for Autism Awareness Month (Marcus Institute Speech)

I shared this on Facebook a couple times, and during Autism Awareness Month this April, my mom wrote this post that touched me so: 'm so glad that you are sharing Matthew's story. I pray that other families will see how faith and perseverance pays off. The days of meltdowns and his fear of loud noises seem so long ago. His uncompromising rigidity a thing of the past. The echolalia is now actual conversations. His interest in those around him is amazing and continues to grow. Because of the sacrifices that you, Jeff and Maddie have made to give Matthew the therapy and the support he needed, he is an outgoing and confident teenager. Active in school actives and in his church decipleship group. It's all about starting over every single day and hoping today will be better than yesterday. Realizing that it's just as hard today as it was yesterday but knowing how much you love your child and knowing no matter how hard it is you will continue to get up everyday and start again because he is worth all the pain, all the tears and all the tiredness. The first many years was 2 steps forward and one step back almost on a daily basis but the great thing was that step forward. No matter how small the accomplishment and was progress. I still remember the first time he said "I love you". My heart still races at the memory. It was a long time coming but oh so sweet! Didn't mean to write a book but I just want everyone out there on this journey to know that all the ups and downs are worth it and don't forget to laugh at the funny stuff! There is always funny stuff!