I'm rarely speechless, but I find myself not able to come up with a title for this entry... a title worthy of all that I'm feeling. I really can't believe all that has happened in the last two and a half weeks... how much we've learned, how much we've grown, how much work we've accomplished, how much fun we've had, and how much we've seen God's hand and felt His love. It's really mind boggling.
For starters, and this is HUGE, Matthew learned to tie his shoes just a day or so before school started! He learned in 30 minutes even (thank you, Gram). Forget that there was a knock-down nearly drag out fit because dear sweet Maddie had a better way to teach him... she recovered, he learned to tie and Gram still had hair. Just a couple days after that, Matthew learned how to put his own belt on. It's amazing what is possible when DESIRE is there.
School kicked off in grand style... Matthew missed the bus home on the second day (but handled it BEAUTIFULLY) and lost his point sheet (a school thing) twice on the first day. I thought to myself, "this is the transition we were knew was possible." The amazing thing is, THAT WAS IT. He hasn't lost his point sheet since! He is careful to pay attention to where his bus is sitting. The principal even called last Friday to ask our feelings about moving him up in math (to prealgebra). Wow!! As an aside, she said at their Thursday afternoon faculty meeting, all of the teachers were raving about Matthew... how great he's doing, how bright he is (LOL, they weren't expecting that) and how nice and polite he is. :-) Lionheart, it's alllll coming together. He was so ready for this. We have to get him to STOP doing homework! If he doesn't have any in a given subject, he'll read the text book. In math he worked extra problems just to "go the extra mile" as he puts it. Tonight he finished a power point presentation on Mt. St. Helens that is just amazing! He is thrilled with school, loving his teachers and is making friends. His social goal this week was just that: to make some new friends. His academic goal? To excel in all of his classes.
Maddie is equally as happy, if not more (if that's possible). She loves being in fifth grade... and the beginning of school brought other 'new beginnings.' Her first bra! Bras and 'big church' all at once. She's excited about one... the other, not so much. Growing up has rose blooms AND thorns. :-) She is in band and is going learn to play the French horn - she's so excited about that. She learned about Student Council at the beginning of the year and had her heart set on running for homeroom rep. One her best friends ran, too. We had several talks about how what we really should pray for and desire is God's will, and if this isn't His will then that means He has other things planned for her, other areas for her to invest her time. Elections are so stressful! Well, the vote was Tuesday, and Maddie won! Woohoooo! She was over the moon excited, but ever so sweet to her friend.
Maddie just got back today from the 5th grade retreat... an overnight trip to High Harbor in Clayton, GA. Two days full of fellowship, worship/chapel, games, swimming and F.U.N. She came home exhausted but oh, so happy! When they got back, I was chatting with the 5th grade Grade Chair (who was also on the retreat), and she couldn't say enough about sweet Maddie. She said, "I knew she was great, but on this retreat I realized just how very special she is. Several times over the course of the trip I saw her reach out to people who were on the fringes of the group. I was worried about one girl in particular, and as I watched Maddie with her, I realized I didn't have to worry about her anymore." Then she her eyes lit up even more, and she said, "OH! AND -- during one of our sessions, the speaker was trying to get the point across that NOBODY on this earth is perfect... no one is perfect but Jesus. So, he asked the kids to think of someone that is as close to perfect as possible. Maddie's hand shot up, and when he called on her she said: MY MOM." #myheartisoverflowing
On top of all that, Jeff and I are in full swing of working our new jobs... him as Dean and me as teaching. I love all the planning time I get, but I'm still at the point where there's so much to do it's like shoveling snow while it's still snowing. I'm getting so much done though and really am quite impressed with all I've learned and accomplished so far. :-) Although, to keep me humble, there've been plenty of balls I've dropped as well... like missing the beginning of class this week (rotating schedule, very unusually empty day because 5th graders were gone... UGH). AND then missed the Laura Story women's ministry at church (that I'd been looking forward to for weeks) all because my brain is mush! That's OK though... I have an amazing job... and this year I get hugs during the day from Maddie!