As hard as it was to believe, our trip to the beach ended, and it was time to come home.
Often at transitions like that, my heels dig in, my spirits drop and I get a little mopey that vacation is over and the busy-ness of life has to resume. This time, however, I was convicted about something a few days before it was time to leave the beach... just as I could feel the "can't help it's" creeping in. One of my favorite worship songs came to mind as I was walking on the beach one morning... it talks about how we are like stars in the universe, shining brightly, but our hearts desire should be to SHINE God's love and likeness. I realized that I can't take for granted that because I love that song and am pretty joyful most of the time that I'm also shining HIM as much as I should be, and that should be my constant goal... to shine HIM in all circumstances. If I'm moping about going home or letting it bring me down, then I'm not shining God to my children or my husband. It was like a light switch going off! Like I tell myself and the kids all the time: we can't always change our circumstances, but we can control our reaction to our circumstances. This year would be different. I would go home with a happy heart, even expectant! What a difference that made! Afterall, how blessed are we that we have such an incredible life to come back to! A wonderful home, amazing jobs, incredible schools, FAMILY and friends... we are so incredibly fortunate!
Here's a little God wink to go along with that. When I came back from my walk, I was thinking I'd like to find the verse that talks about the stars in the universe, but I wasn't even sure where to look. I figured I'd do a search on it later. I opened up "Jesus Calling" for the day, and here was one of the verses: ... so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you SHINE LIKE STARS IN THE UNIVERSE. Philippians 2:15
Yup.
Another song helped solidify my conviction to come home with a happy heart: "Show Jesus" by Jamie Grace. I want to show Jesus all the time, especially to my kids and husband!! I know I will fall short, but I have to aim high -- for the STARS.