Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Summer Nights


My Experience at Summer Nights
                        I had fun at my first Jhi Summer Night on the twenty-sixth day of June 2013.  Summer Nights is a night-of-worship type festivity held at Perimeter Church on Wednesday nights in the summer for middle school students. The first part of the night was spent playing games and worshiping. Then, I went outside and played a game called Bonkers and ate ice cream.  After that, I played basketball until my mother picked me up. It was amazing.   
            When I arrived at church, I went straight to a worship venue known as The Hanger. Since I was a new student, I signed in as one, and entered The Hanger. Once inside, I noticed that the room was half-full of Jhi students and church employees. On the stage was a large cardboard cutout similar to a release poster for Despicable Me, matching up perfectly with the Despicable Me, Glorious God theme of the night. I searched for boys from my discipleship group, but there were none, so I sat by myself. Then, a woman stood on the stage and announced another game (I had arrived some five minutes late). It was a large-scale rock-paper-scissors match. One would start out as a Cookie Robot, hoping to move through the ranks of Minion and Daughter until reaching Gru; all the Grus would compete in rock-paper-scissors until there were only two finalists; whichever finalist won would win the game. After that, we sang praises to God in three of my most favorite praise songs. Next, one of the workers, Aimee Simmons, testified about her faith. She compared Margo, Edith and Agnes from Despicable Me to herself as a teenager; both wished for love and approval in the eyes of others. At the age of twenty, she was attending Georgia Southern University, and was invited to campus ministry; there, an Evangelist spoke to her about the gospel in such a way that it came alive like never before in her. She learned about the object of the night’s theme: that even though we are sinful souls, God is just and kind, and, most of all, perfect. When the testimony ended we sung again, and were invited outside for a special game.
            The game we played was called Bonkers! The object of the game was to complete an obstacle course consisting of cornhole, dizzy bat, hula-hoops, pushups, and crabwalks. For each challenge one completed, they had the challenge’s number (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) written in their wristband. While running from one obstacle to the next, we had to beware of church workers, who would hit others with pantyhose full of flour. When someone got hit they had to sit and yell, “Nurse! nurse!” and another employee would come and assist them.  Anyone who made it back to the start/finish line would get ice cream under $3. I took a light blow toward the beginning, and a painful one between stations one and two. I failed to have numbers 2-5 written on my wristband, so after I ordered my frozen treat (which happened to be a Sour Patch Kids Popsicle), I had a triangle divided into triangles to count for my ice cream plus all the other stations. While I was eating, I had another worker rub me with his pantyhose while trying to engage in conversation so as to distract me. Later, I met a woman named Tara, her daughter, her daughter’s friends, and one of the camp counselors for the day camp that had just ended for the day before the fun took place. Soon a man said, “Everybody inside!”, so we all walked inside to have more fun indoors again.
            Once inside, I noticed that there was music upstairs. Tara and I then headed upstairs to see what was going on. The music was playing loudly over numerous speakers. I found the upstairs basketball court, which was partially caged in to prevent balls and players from falling onto the second level of the church (we were on the third). I attempted to join an ongoing game, but since the people who were playing didn’t want anyone to join, I decided to wait. In good time, the game ended, and I entered the court. There, I practiced basketball skills with a member of the Jhi event staff named Austin and a tall, African-American eighth-grade boy named Dolu. We learned a great deal of interesting pointers, such as keeping your elbows by your sides when shooting and shooting the ball with your fingertips versus your hands. Soon, more people entered the court, and a game began. Due to the fact that I was wearing Crocs, I was unable to move fast, but I still did a good job playing. All of a sudden, a man yelled, “IT’S 9:30! TIME TO GO!” Upon hearing this, we broke up our game and went outside, where our parents were waiting.
            Once outside, I stood on the curb, waiting for my mother, sister, and my sister’s friend, Ally Jones, to pick me up. Finally, after five minutes of waiting, my mother’s car drove up. I climbed in, rode home, and got ready for bed. Overall, I had fun at Summer Nights, worshiping the Lord, playing games and socializing. It was an excellent experience, as all church-related excursions are, and I couldn’t wait to attend again.