Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lovin' Life

It's so awesome to feel that way!  There have been times when I haven't... not so enthusiastically anyway.  What a journey God has had me on!  I'm in awe of what a big God He is!  I'm in awe that He has chosen to bless me with such an incredible husband - my best friend, soul mate and best dad I could ask for for my kids, the very best kids I could ever imagine, the best Mom in the world, and such awesome in-laws and extended family!

Today was one of those days that I've just felt so grateful.  Maybe it was triggered by how happy and smooth and wonderful our summer days are.  Or maybe it was triggered by Matthew saying, in response to filling out a medical questionnaire for a school sports physical form (let that ruminate for a minute - it would be easy to miss the profoundness of that fly right by), and he said, "Well, here are the questions that apply to me.  #2... I do have a medical condition.  My autism.  I mean, it's incredibly advantageous (direct quote), but it is a medical condition.  And he continued through the list, explaining the questions that apply (ever had a head injury that caused unconsciousness, etc - yep.  January 2010) and on and on.  THEN for the doctor, he had to fill out a confidential questionnaire for the 13 year-olds and up.  THAT was interesting... he reported recurring headaches and abdominal pain (to which she asked a lot of questions and we decided is most likely related to not hydrating enough/eating enough since but we will keep a calendar diary of both).  He also circled 'yes' to the question, "Are you having any trouble at school."  So, she asked him about that.  His reply:  "Well, the problems are mostly social.  I have trouble talking to authorities in a rough tone.  I also sometimes have trouble focusing and paying attention."  She asked if he had someone like a counselor or a psychologist that was helping him with this, and he mentioned Victoria at Lionheart :-) and Dr. Chilikimarri.  She said she knows how hard he works and HAS worked and is really proud of him. :-)

Maybe it was triggered when Maddie, Matthew and I were practicing our kids worship songs together. Seeing them lift their hands and raise their voices to the God they clearly love so much was so cool -- and getting to it with them was even cooler!  We've learned 9 songs so far and are loving it.

Or maybe it was triggered by realizing how good it feels to eat healthy foods that God created for us to eat and how good it feels to chop and cut and cook a good meal that my family can all enjoy.  I mean, tonight my kids got EXCITED about eating brown rice and quinoa!!  What?!  Matthew ate yellow squash, zucchini and onions (all together!).  It was so funny, we were at the store yesterday buying a few groceries, and a lady was passing by us as Maddie asked if we were going to eat the brown rice/quinoa that night.  I answered that I really didn't think it went with the Mexican rice bowls I was making.  Maddie answered, as the lady was just past us, "Oh, Mom!  You know I'll eat ANYTHING with ANYTHING!"  The lady turned and said, "WHAT?! Mom - how did you do THAT?!"  She talked with us a few minutes and was truly impressed and complemented me AND Maddie.  :-)  I do have two REALLY good eatin' kiddos.  I'm so very thankful for that!

That doesn't even scratch the surface of all of I have to be grateful for... but it's a good start.  I'm also smiling as I think about our incredible Disney trip with Gram, our relaxing Saturday at MaMa and PaPa's house, a few hours with good friends, good runs and tennis, time looking through and organizing old pictures and reflecting on God's faithfulness to us through the years.  I.am.humbled.  I.am.loved.