Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

WE HAVE A TEENAGER IN THE HOUSE!

I really can't believe I have a teenager. A thirteen year old. An adolescent boy. Wow. Where does the time go?! I have to say right now how lucky I am though... my 13 year old still thinks I'm cool, still lets me kiss him -- and still kisses me! Who says autism can't be AWESOME?! It has been truly miraculous - God's hand all over - watching him grow and mature. Matthew has such a big heart, is so eager to meet people and also so interested in learning about them... it's very cool. He is by far the neatest 13 year old I know, although I know I'm more than a little biased. For his birthday, he wanted to eat at Provino's, and -- this is big -- he wanted to wait until the weekend to do it, because "weekdays are tiring and busy, and I'll be able to enjoy it more on the weekend." This is from a boy who has ALWAYS wanted his birthday celebration to be ON his birthDAY. Things got a little complicated, though, because the weekend before his birthday was the 6th grade retreat, and the weekend after it didn't work out for Gram to be able to come because I was hosting a shower all day on Saturday, so Matthew opened Gram's presents (a sleeping bag and a kindle book he asked for - The Screwtape Letters) ON his birthday with the intention of Skyping with her, but we couldn't get it to work. Technology. We gave him a basketball goal (he's been shooting baskets at Lionheart every day on the blacktop - loves it!!) and in iTunes gift card so he could pick out a movie, and Maddie gave him a Brave's tshirt and "Wreck-it Ralph". Oh, and we also got him a RAZOR!!! He already has enough of a mustache to shave! Anyway, I digress. We went to Provino's with MaMa and PaPa and had a delicious dinner. He had already had birthday cupcakes at school (he wanted chocolate with chocolate icing - YUM, and yellow with vanilla icing for people who didn't like chocolate -- his idea!) The cupcakes were a hit, and the birthday was good. Maddie and I were a little taken aback by how little enthusiasm he showed ON his birthday toward his gifts and the day in general (he was a bit impatient all day, and the only gift he showed the slightest hint of emotion about was the Jason Heyward tshirt!)... but he bounced back in a few days and was his usual jovial self, so I decided he was just a bit overwhelmed by the milestone birthday. Oh, and I thought this was cool: MaMa and PaPa gave him $100 for his birthday, and that Sunday before church he grabbed $10 and said he wanted to tithe 10% of his gift. Wow. I was impressed.