Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Immeasurably more...

Wow.  I'm in awe... and almost speechless.

The house next door to us has been vacant (and for sale) for three years.  It needs a lot of work, and we have been praying for neighbors... It finally went under contract a month ago, and we met the family that was looking at and liked them immediately.  The dad is retiring from 20 years in the Navy, the wife seemed really nice, and they have two boys (age 10 and 14).  Grand parents were in town from N.C. and were so sweet!  We were excited about the possibility of having them as neighbors, but a couple weeks later the home inspection nearly put an end to things (which we knew was possible).  However, the "for sale sign" and the lock box disappeared on May 31, and that weekend we saw the familiar faces - it was them!  They got the house!  They won't move in until later in July, because they are doing a lot of work before hand, but the wife is around quite a bit checking on the work and so forth.  Today, I we decided to exchange phone numbers and began chatting more.

Here's proof that God does "immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine":  She asked me where I taught, and when I told her that it was a special needs school and that Matthew also goes there I explained that he's on the autism spectrum.  She said, "Yes, my youngest has autism, well not really but, yes, basically autism - he has Asperger's."  SHUT UP, I wanted to say.  WHAT?!  Are you kidding me?  Next door?  Instead, I said, "NO WONDER you didn't seem taken aback when Matthew greeted you with a hug the other day!" (to which she smiled), and now I feel so much better about the very first time we met them and Matthew nearly ran into their car with his bike as he yelled, "Outta the way!!!!"  Yep.

This is huge on so many levels, but the one that screams at me is the relief of not worrying how two typical teen/tween boys are going to react toward Matthew.  As it is, the teen "gets it" and the tween may have a lot in common with Matthew.  Maddie will "get" him as well... Wow.  Unbelievable.  Can't wait to talk to the mom more... our conversation in the driveway was cut short by a water damaged ceiling and arriving repairman (hers, not ours).