Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Crush...

Maddie and I have our greatest conversations at bedtime, and the one we had last night was one for the record books.

Maddie had said several times since school ended that was really sad this certain boy from her class was moving and not coming back to Wesleyan next year.  He was new this year, and she really liked him.  She told me that, and then one time she followed it by "but he doesn't KNOW I like him."  I said, "Well, you guys are friends, right?"  to which she answered yes.  And then I knew.  We have always really tried to downplay the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing with both of our kids, and will continue, but I also want her to feel free to be open and honest with what's going on in her life.  So...

At bedtime, I carefully brought up the subject of this friend and asked, "So do you think you have a crush on ****?  She quickly answered no, (no, no, noooo... nothing like that).  And I assured her it's OK if she does... it's completely normal.  Then she took a deep breath, smiled, and said, "well, maybe a teeny, tiny one."  Then she said, "He's just such a good role model!  He's so nice and polite, and when the other boys are being silly and annoying like trying to keep something away from someone, he'll get it and give it back it them.  I don't just like him because he's good at football (even though he is!)."  I said, "Wow!  What an awesome reason to have a crush on someone!  That's so cool!"  I asked if her friends knew, and she said no... I explained that it's better that way (for so many reasons).  I had my first crush in 3rd grade, and I was not boy crazy... I'm hoping the same thing for her!

When we finished talking, she gave me the tightest hug and said how glad she was we had talked.  I think it was a huge relief to share that (and see that it was met with no judgment).  I keep praying for wisdom, and He delivers!  It's amazing!