Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I love him exactly the way he is...

The other night, Maddie and I were working on her baby album in Shutterfly (yep), and while I was looking through an old planner with information about her 11th month, she noticed that I had a lot of stuff written in there about Matthew. She asked if we knew he had autism yet at that point, and I told her we were just finding out. I was blown away by her next question: "How did you feel when you found out he had autism?" Me: "Well, we felt sad, and scared. We had no idea how many blessings we would have on this journey or how amazing it would be. Knowing what I know I now, I'd never take it away. Maddie: "I know! Me neither! Sometimes I lie in bed at night thinking (when I can't fall asleep), and I wonder what he'd be like if he didn't have autism. Would he be as smart? Would he look the same? But I love him exactly the way he is... I wouldn't change him."