Lent for Everyone... even 9 year olds!
Maddie never ceases to amaze me with the depth of her faith and understanding... and thirst for more.
We read a devotion tonight that talked about life getting more difficult as you get older. She said, "You know Mom, I think that's why I've really realized this year - in 3rd grade - that I NEED God. You know, I had that friendship problem (earlier blog entry), and I knew I couldn't handle it on my own. I knew I needed God and I wanted to hear him. I really started reading my Bible more, and it's so cool! The more I learn about him, the more I WANT to know. Like, I really WANT to get closer to him and hear him and know him." When I was in first grade and had those friendship problems, I tried to handle them on my own, but I know now I can't do that."
Also, Maddie started giving something up for Lent last year (candy), and she did it again this year. Jeff and I decide each year what we feel led to do, and we agree it's a very personal thing and something not to be taken lightly or just done because it's "what you do." We've never pushed the kids to do it. Maddie's teacher talked about it last year, and so Maddie decided to do it. Several months ago, Matthew said that this year he was going to give up TECHNOLOGY(non-schoolwork related) for Lent. Wow. That's BIG. I was wondering if that would stick when the time came. Sure enough, the week of Lent, Matthew asked me if I remembered what he'd said he was going to do - and he's never 'done' Lent before. He has been so faithful! One day, he was printing his homework out and inadvertently played something in Google Translate. Oh, he felt AWFUL. He said, "That's it, after this year, I'm NEVER giving up anything for Lent again!" So we had a long chat about WHY we give something up in the first place - that's it's to remind us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and of the testing and temptation we endured for the 40 days before he died. We are not perfect like Jesus, and he forgives our imperfections. The idea is to think about Jesus everytime you have the desire to get on the computer... THAT's the point of the sacrifice... that, and making more room for him... thanking him for what HE gave up for us. Matthew said, "whew! I feel so much better. Now I'm glad that happened - I learned more about Lent because of it." And here I thought he knew... but I guess I got a little deeper this time.
So Maddie, on the same day, came home and said that her close friend at school had offered her a piece of candy, and when Maddie declined, her friend asked why (knowing that Maddie LOVES herself some candy). When Maddie said she gave it up for Lent, her friend hadn't heard of Lent, so Maddie explained it - just like I had explained it to Matthew!! The sacrifice... remembering what he did for us... thinking about him more and other 'stuff' less, etc, etc... I was blown away. So her friend decided to give up something, too!