Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Friday, July 9, 2010

St. John Day 5... Time to hit the beaches!



We’re finally at the point that we have to ask each other what day of the week it is. It’s so awesome! We had another amazing day today. We went exploring in the car today to check out a couple more beaches. Right after breakfast we loaded up the snorkeling gear and the sand toys and headed for Lameshur Bay. WOW. I keep thinking I’ll get used to the beautiful beaches and scenery here, but I haven’t, just like I haven’t gotten used to passing oncoming cars on the right (I still wince and scootch to the middle of the car). When we got to Lameshur Bay, two other cars were there, and for about an hour, we had it completely to ourselves! Clear water, sandy beaches, SHADE from trees, mountains in the background... I was almost speechless. After playing a bit in the water, we all put on the snorkeling gear and gave it a try – it was so cool! The kids did great, and we all loved it. We saw a few fish, not as many as we saw the other day at Salt Pond Bay, but this time we had flippers and snorkels so it was still really fun. It's hilarious - when Matthew sees a fish, he swims like mad trying to catch it.

We left there and went back to the house for lunch, and then we loaded up and drove along North Shore Road to Maho Bay. It was a little more crowded, but even that is relative. We still found a shady spot to sit under, and we didn’t have to vie for a spot in the water. We did some more snorkeling… it hit me what a milestone this is. For the first time, we’re snorkeling with our kids, and they were independent, adventurous and excited. Matthew did get upset and completely OVER it when he got water in the nose of his goggles and thus IN his nose… but he enjoyed it and swam like a fish up until that point (Ann, you would be so proud of BOTH of them!)

For dinner we drove on into Cruz Bay (across the island from us, but Maho Bay is more than half way there). Maddie and I put on our bathing suit cover ups and we waltzed right up to a casual Mexican place and had a great meal. After that, we drove home. We were going to take North Shore Road home because it’s the more scenic road (the other road we’ve been using, Centerline Road, cuts through the center of the island, still a beautiful drive). We got past the first two beaches and traffic was stopped; we saw a police car ahead – apparently a truck had gone off the road. I totally see how that could happen, and I so hope the folks in the truck are fine. They weren’t letting cars by, so we turned around and came home on Centerline. One of our games while we drive is guessing what the next animal we see along the road will be (we’ve seen donkeys, goats, cows, pigs, hermit crabs, regular crabs, chickens and cats! So far I (Jen) hold the record for the most correct predictions. We watched “Cars” together and then hit the sack. Today wore us ALL out… but it’s that wonderfully, satisfying kind of tired.