Time really flies... it seems like just yesterday that our relatively new, VERY DEAR AND PRECIOUS friends told us they were moving. In our excitement for them (it's an amazing opportunity), it has been hard to focus on what we are losing (thankfully). Well, we not "losing" them, but they won't be right around the corner anymore. It was months ago, but suddenly they are packed and leaving tomorrow!!
I was tucking Maddie and Matthew in bed, and Maddie really touched my heart. Her very best friend (her "first best friend as they call it) is moving this week (an hour and a half away), and it's very real to Maddie. The night we told her this was happening (months ago), she cried and cried - REAL tears, the heartbroken kind. I knew she would take it hard, but she even surprised ME. One thing we know about Maddie, she feels VERY deeply. Fast forward to tonight. We are very close with Sara's family... the friendships have special all the way around. The mom and I are both only children and have had a special connection... kindred spirits, and the whole arrangement is just VERY comfortable and easy. Impromptu dinners, playdates, the works (not easy stuff by Atlanta standards). Tonight at bedtime, Maddie snuggled in and said "I'm really going to miss Sara. I wish she was my sister." Here's the cool part:
"Well, really she is! She's my sister in Christ!" (Maddie's words!)
Then we talked about how faithful God is to provide what we need. She was sad about next year at school without Sara (Maddie went home with Sara almost every day until I picked her up when I got off work), and I reminded her that she wouldn't be in the same class as Sara anyway. Her response wrenched my heart: "I know, but we planned after kindergarten that we would always stick together at Wesleyan, all the way through high school!" *sigh*
I reminded her how we moved from McDonough and left some precious friends there... and look who God brought into our lives? The Kennerly's! The new friends don't replace the old ones, but they are precious, and our heart just grows! She smiled and agreed... she said, "I wonder who my new friend will be - not my new best friend - Sara will always be my FIRST friend - but my NEW friend... and I hope you will be good friends with the mom.... " Such a sweet heart.
Jeff said tonight that we really are going to miss them so much... we are usually the ones to move off - now we know what it feels like! :-) Friendships like this are unique and precious, though, and a little distance can't take away what God has formed. We know that from experience!! ;-)