Matthew LOVES writing now... in fact, I would venture to say it's one of his greatest talents and deepest passions. One of his teachers at Wesleyan passed along a "job" opportunity as an online journalist, and Matthew jumped on it. He now writes weekly for The Odyssey, and online news publication. I think there's potential to get paid, but your articles have to get thousands of hits, so we're not there yet. However, something more important than a paycheck has come out of this opportunity: the chance for Matthew to tell his story and share his perspective. I'm more convinced than ever that Matthew truly has a remarkable story to tell... and if his story, his perspective, his journey can encourage just one other family, than it's all worth it. God has worked in ways that I could've never asked, nor predicted, nor deserved... and He deserves all the glory. We are still on a journey, and it will continue to have its ups and downs, but this article is just another "stone of remembrance" of God's faithfulness. *Warning: it is raw and real - and all purely Matthew's perspective.
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/7-gross-misconceptions-autism
Now, in case you're wondering about the title of this post... the article is the GOOD, and it shares the good the bad and the ugly, but we've also been met by a little bad and ugly criticism. That has been really hard for me, but then I realize, if I back up and think about ALL of the feedback we've received, Matthew's article is definitely doing much more good than not. The feedback has really been overwhelmingly positive and even enthusiastic! I'm so grateful! I'm so very proud of him!! :-)