Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Cats!

I haven't posted since September, and yet every few days something will be said or something will happen that I think I should write about. Where does the time go?! We aren't even as busy right now (in theory) because we don't have karate anymore (I still miss it!), but still there aren't enough hours in the day. We are all enjoying the fact that we have more hours at home together though... now we fill them with board games, runs/bike rides, reading and just generally hanging together, OH - and playing with our new cats!
We adopted a one year old (Lucy) and two 9 week olds (Ernie and Hobbes (may he rest peace). We tried twice to have three cats, but one died while still at the shelter, and (ironically) the twin was sick and died this week. Little did we know how sickly shelter cats tend to be. Ernie and Lucy are both being treated for a cold, and poor Hobbes had some sort of intestinal bug. *sigh* We've decided that maybe God is trying to tell us that two is enough, and believe it or not, Maddie came to that conclusion too (after a day or two of wanting to still try for a third cat, albeit NOT from the shelter). Hobbes' death hit her tender heart the hardest by far. Yesterday, Matthew had an orthodontist appointment and was such a rock star! He got a spacer and took an impression for an expander... we were there for an hour and a half and he never complained. We stopped for a special dinner together (Jeff picked Maddie up from a friend's house and took her to grab a bite and then watch volleyball at Wesleyan). I surprised him with his favorite restaurant since we were in the neighborhood: Pappasitos. He was thrilled (and it's Mexican, so of course I was thrilled too). When we first got there, he said that as good as the food and the atmosphere was, it wasn't quite the same without Daddy and Maddie. But then, as we were driving home he said something that melted my heart: "This evening was SO special that I hope it doesn't repeat for at least three years." My heart be still!