Welcome!!

My photo
Hi! We are the Plunks: Jennifer, Jeff, Matthew and Maddie! Welcome to our blog. I started this blog to chronicle our service dog adventure, but it has evolved into a place for me to jot down my thoughts... about autism, parenting, family, working, but mostly about celebrating life and the God who gifted us with it. Enjoy the ride!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 11: Francis Bay

Click here to view these pictures larger

We explored a new beach today: Francis Bay. After a breakfast of cereal (with blueberries for Jeff and me - YUM), our morning devotion and crossword, we packed our bags and headed out. We did a hike near Francis Bay last time, we didn't go to the beach. This time we did just a short hike and then found a shady spot on the beach. We read in our new book ("St. John: Off the Beaten Path) where the best snorkeling at Francis Bay is, so we followed the rocks along the eastern coast for quite a while - it was awesome! Once we got pretty far, the winds picked up and the current was more obvious (not a bad current, but enough to make swimming back in a little harder than the swim out), so we turned and headed back in. On the way back in, we came across a sea turtle! I tried to swim down and touch it, but it was too deep for my ears. BUMMER. I never could catch up to it, even when it came up for a breath. The other cool sighting on this snorkel trip was the peacock flounder - I got one picture of it. Oh, and Maddie spotted a dead urchin... I don't know how we'll get it to Atlanta in one piece, but we're going to try! After hanging out and playing some paddle ball, Maddie and I snorkeled some more in the center of the bay over the seagrass beds, but all we saw were some fish and a great barracuda (pretty cool though!)... no seat turtles or rays. We packed up and headed back to the house for a swim in the newly cleaned pool, a yummy grilled steak dinner and a movie, but while we were chilling out and showering, the power went out! Apparently that happens fairly often, but it was a first for us. We hung out on the back patio and read... then we played Yatzee. Then, at 7pm, the power came back on! We were able to watch Maddie's movie pick after all: Rio. I love that movie! Jeff and I are both really into our current books, so we were happy when it was time to go down to the guest house and go to bed. We got the kids tucked in, and went to READ. :-) Oh, and Matthew's legs have finally turned a corner - they are sooooooo much better! Woohoo!!